During a home renovation project, it’s fun to think of new ideas to upgrade your space. Have you been thinking of opening up more space inside your home by switching to an open floor plan? Start your research with this article about the pros and cons of open floor plans.
The Advantages of Open Floor Plans
- One of the most obvious benefits of not having walls dividing your home is the freedom. Without doors and walls to block space, you and your family have more space for movement.
- Greater natural and shared light is also a favorite benefit of open floor plans. Rooms that natural light could not reach before will be better illuminated without walls blocking the light.
- If you’re planning to put your home on the market in the future, you should consider an open layout because it is attractive to prospective buyers. Consult your home renovator for an idea of how much your home value can increase with an open floor plan.
- Another advantage is improved flexibility. Without walls, furnishings can be easily moved and rearranged in different layouts. If you enjoy mixing things up now and then, consider an open floor plan.
The Disadvantages of Open Floor Plans
- With a bigger open space, it could cost you more to heat and cool your home.
- The open space can make it difficult to control noise. Typical sounds can be distracting in an open layout.
- An open floor plan can easily appear cluttered. Traditional floor plans with walls and doors confine furnishings and hide the clutter in each room. With an open floor plan, it is important to maintain an organized home.
- The most obvious downside of an open floor plan is the lack of privacy. Open floor plans are great for social interaction, but it’s hard to enjoy peace and quiet with others in the same room.
Design Your Dream Home With DreamMaker
You don’t have to stress over searching for a “contractor near me”. Experts from DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Elizabethtown can help you with your home renovation project. Call us at (717) 298-3830 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve clients in Elizabethtown, Hershey, Mount Joy, Lancaster and Harrisburg. We also serve York, Lititz, Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Manheim, Bainbridge, Lebanon, Palmyra, Middletown and Hummelstown.