There are no hard-and-fast rules when it comes to designing interiors, but it’s important to have a good understanding of the basic elements of good interior design. Take it from your trusted home renovator, DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Schaumburg, and remember these underlying principles when planning your vision for your home.
Balance refers to the equal distribution of visual weight in a given space. It can be achieved through any of these three styles:
- Symmetrical balance is typically found in traditional interiors. It uses the same objects in the same positions on either side of a vertical axis.
- Asymmetrical balance is generally more appropriate for modern designs. It makes use of objects that are dissimilar but have equal visual weight.
- Radial symmetry, where all elements are arranged around a center point. A good example of this is a spiral staircase.
Harmony is achieved when all elements of design tie together and create a unified look. It suggests a sense of restfulness. One way of creating harmony in your interior design is by using a single color across forms that vary in size, shape and texture.
Rhythm is the repetition of a visual pattern or the continuity, recurrence or organized movement of a design element. Your home remodeler can achieve rhythm through repetition, progression, transition or contrast.
- Repetition – using the same element more than once throughout the room
- Progression – focusing on one element and then increasing or decreasing one or more of its qualities (for example, a gradation by color)
- Transition – using elements to create a smoother flow that allows the eye to naturally glide from area to another
- Contrast – making use of two opposing elements (for example, putting black and white pillows on a couch or sofa)
Not everything in a room should be given equal importance. Otherwise, your interior design would seem dull. Choose one point of interest for a particular space. It could be a fireplace or a window with a panoramic view. The goal is to enhance the room’s focal point, which can be done by arranging furniture around it or adding other design elements to emphasize it.
Let’s Start a Conversation!
If you need a “contractor near me”, you can count on DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Schaumburg for superior workmanship and exceptional customer service. Call (847) 973-5097 to start a conversation with our team today! We serve homeowners in Barrington, Hoffman Estates, Elk Grove, Arlington Heights, Palatine and the surrounding areas.